Monday, March 31, 2014

Seven

This spring the girls from my bible study and I have been doing Jen Hatmaker's 7. It's been eye-opening to say the least. The premise for the study is that we have too. much. in our lives. Too many choices. Too many distractions. And too much stuff.

Jen takes you through 7 areas of excess (food, clothes, possessions, media, waste, stress, and spending) where she asks you to pull back to limited choices all while pointing to the bigger God story. When we started the study I knew that media would be the thing that has the biggest hold on me & takes way too much of my time, energy, and thoughts.

But let me back up a bit. The food week was eye-opening to just how many options we have. Matt and I have been intentional with making better food choices since January so this wasn't a huge shift for us but has still helped me make even better choices and evaluate what we are putting into our bodies. Clothes week wasn't a huge deal for me at all. Yes, I've got a closet full of clothes but I typically rotate the same 7 outfits over and over in a season. So why have all those extra options I know I won't wear (or haven't worn in forever)? Welcome possessions week. I thought I had this one in the bag. I am constantly getting rid of things we don't need but whew, there were still too many items I purged this week (and this was after a very recent clean out!!). And I know I still have more I can get rid of. Makes me rethink all that I buy (is this something I'm just going to get rid of in the next round of clean outs?).

So now enter media week. I felt anxious leading up to this week. I'm constantly plugged into media, media, and more media. Facebook, twitter, Instagram, email, work email, and blogs all controlling my time. So Tuesday night I did one last scroll through everything and deleted all the media apps from my phone. It has been wonderful. 6 days without Facebook didn't kill me. Not checking Instagram every 2 minutes left me with so much more time to focus on the ones present with me. Starting my day off without checking apps and reading blogs has made for much more peaceful mornings. And I was more productive with my time (Hello folding a load of laundry BEFORE work. Hi multiple runs with Baylor. Hey face to face conversations with Matt without distractions or interruptions.) This week has been freeing and so fun. I've truly enjoyed being unplugged and honestly still don't miss any of it. Ive found life has been much more enjoyable without spending time looking at what other people are doing. And I don't have plans to make big changes once this week is up. I think social media apps are going to stay off my phone for a while and just check into sites ever so often. I also went with very limited TV and no radio in the car. The silence in the car was probably the hardest part. Silence can be so loud when you are used to having noise around you all the time. It has been super nice to have limited distractions and weird to realize how many distractions I had once they were gone.

Half-way through 7 & excited to see what the rest of the study holds!


1 comment:

Tammy said...

I've never heard of this book. It sounds like a very interesting book to study and put into practice.
❀ Tammy
Forever in First